Granola Bars (RSF, Nut-free)
Fuel your family with these healthy lunch-box fillers or pre-sport snacks.
- Medium sized pot, stirring spoon, baking paper and tray
- 100 g butter or coconut oil
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup chopped dried apricots
- ½ cup sultanas or dried cranberries craisins
- ½ cup shredded/thread coconut or desiccated coconut
- 1¾ cups fine rolled oats make sure you use fine rolled oats, not the large Jumbo rolled oats
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 170 oC Line a square (18-20cm) baking tin with baking paper.
- Melt butter/coconut oil and honey together in a medium-size pot or in a medium-sized bowl in the microwave. Stir in apricots, sultanas/cranberries, coconut, rolled oats, pumpkin seeds and salt until well combined.
- Use the back of a spoon to firmly press mixture into lined baking tin and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown on top. When it comes out of the oven, press down on it with the back of a spoon again to make it firmer (so it doesn’t crumble apart).
- Leave to cool in the tin then refrigerate for at least 1-2 hours until firm, before removing and cutting into 8 bars or 16 squares. Will keep in an air-tight container for about a week. Or can be frozen in an airtight container or snaplock bag for months.