Raspberry Chia Jam
Sweet and super-powerful nutritious spread and baking addition!
- You will need a saucepan, stirring utensil, sterilised jar, hob and fridge.
- 2 Cups Raspberries fresh or frozen of any of your favourite berries
- ¼ Cups Sweetener of choice honey, coconut nectar or rice bran syrup work well
- Juice and Zest of 1 lemon
- 2-3 Tbsp Water
- 4 Tbsp Chia seeds
- In a saucepan, combine the berries, sweetener, water and lemon juice and zest and heat gently to the boil.
- Stir frequently to breakdown the berries and add the chia seeds.
- Cook for about five minutes, stirring frequently as the mixture slightly thickens.
- Pour into a clean sterilised jar. Jam will set more once cooled and will keep in the fridge for about 2 weeks.
Health benefits: Raspberries contain a high amount of powerful antioxidants that may support the body in decreasing the oxidative damage from free radicals and fight inflammation. In addition, it’s a great source of fiber – which can help keep our digestive system working smoothly. Chia seeds, are a small superhero, they’re an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids, rich in antioxidants, and they provide fiber, iron, and calcium. Omega-3 fatty acids help raise HDL cholesterol, the “good” cholesterol that protects against heart attack and stroke.