Chai Spiced Almond Cookies
Chewy and soft center, gluten free, refined sugar free, *can be made vegan too.
- small bowl, large bowl, measuring spoons, measuring cups, whisk, folk, baking tray, baking paper, fridge, oven.
- 1 ½ cups Ground almond
- ¾ cup Gluten free flour I use edmonds
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- ½ tsp Baking soda
- ¾ cup Coconut sugar
- 1 tsp Ground ginger
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Ground cardamom
- ½ tsp Allspice
- Pinch each of salt and ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup Melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp Vanilla essence
- 2 Tbls Maple syrup or rice bran syrup
- 1 Whisked egg white *can use 2 Tbls whisked aquafaba here for vegans
- Sift all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- In another small bowl, whisk together the oil, essence and syrup. Add the whisked egg white and gently mix together.
- Add the liquids to the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Chill the dough for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180oC.
- Line a baking tray with paper.
- Roll into walnut size balls (about 25 gm) and pace on your prepared tray allowing a little room to spread.
- Press each ball gently down with a fork or your fingertips.
- Bake for about 12-15 minutes.
*What is aquafaba? It’s the brine in a can of chickpeas which makes a fantastic substitute for egg in most baking.